On 4 Nov 2005, at 12:24, Randomthots wrote:

> John Jordan wrote:
>
> > I have OO.o 1.9 on my Linux laptop and 2.0 on my Windows 2000
> > desktop. On the Linux version I can enter a special character by holding
> > Shift+Ctrl and typing the hex code. For example, Ctrl+Shift+02A4 gives me
> > the d-yogh ligature (assuming I'm in a font that contains that character).
> > But when I am on the Windows desktop it does not work, even though I am
> > using the same font. The only way I can find to insert special characters on
> > the Windows machine is by Insert > Special Character.

> There may be a better answer lurking out there, but one thing that comes to my
> mind is the use of Autoreplace. You find it under Tools -> Autocorrect, the
> first tab is Replace.
>
> It looks like you will need to change the drop-box at the top to
> something other than English (USA) since, on my installation at least,
> the New button is greyed out for that. So choose another language or
> maybe the top entry [All]. In the Replace box type a character sequence
> that you wouldn't ordinarily use; for example `02A4 or \02A4 and then in the
> With box insert the character that you want. You will probably need to just
> copy/paste from the Character Map utility to get it in there.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried AutoCorrect. It works OK
until I try to enter a non-spacing diacritical. For those who are not familiar
with IPA fonts, a non-spacing diacritical is a type of "accent" but is typed
(usually) *after* the character on which it is to appear. The "accent" is
spaced so that it actually appears to the left of where it is typed, thus
sitting right on/under/beside the character it modifies.

I'll give an example to illustrate the problem. Certain nasals and liquids can
function as vowels in many languages, English and German being common
examples. In English, the r, l, n and m can be a syllable unto themselves
or can function as vowels. Thus, a word like 'fashion' has two syllables, the
first being fash and the last being just n. In IPA we would write this
(assuming most dialects) as "eff, script-a, esh, syllabic-n." Now, the n is
just the n character the same as you are seeing it in this e-mail. But in
linguistics we need to be precise about how sounds are working in a word,
so we use a little | character centered under the n to indicate that it is
syllabic. (I used the pipe character here because e-mail is kind of limited;
the actual syllabic diacritic looks like a pipe but is very short and sits
underneath the n.)

Now for the problem. I can type an n, and I can add "0329" to AutoCorrect
and the syllabic diacritic for the replacement. But when I type 0329 I have
to leave a space between it and the n. Otherwise AutoCorrect will look for
"n0329" and not find it. So I leave a space and AutoCorrect then enters the
syllabic diacritic. But there is a space between the n and the diacritic.
Logically you would think the solution would be just to go in and delete the
space. That ought to work. But it does not. For some reason that I do not
ken, deleting the space leaves half a space, so the syllabic diacritic sits
under the right leg of the n instead of centered. If I try to delete the half
space it cannot be deleted because it appears it's not really there.

I tried resolving this problem by adjusting the character spacing, but failed
to get satisfactory results. Not to mention the fact that it is unworkable to
have to spend several minutes tweaking stuff every time I need to type a
syllabic n. Furthermore, it is extrremely difficult to select the n and the
diacritic. You can zoom Writer as high as it will go and you still cannot
successfully select just the diacritic or just the n.

What does work is entering the syllabic diacritic via the Insert > Special
Character palette. I have no idea why Writer positions the diacritic correctly
via the palette, but not via AutoCorrect.

Another thing that works is entering the diacritic by holding down Shift+Ctrl
and typing the hex number for it, but only on the Linux computer. For some
reason that does not work at all on the Windows version. That's the big
dilemma that I need an answer for.

There are a couple dozen of these diacritics for all kinds of things --
voiceless, dental, breathy voice, unreleased stop, and so on. I need one on
average every other word. So I can't just forget about them.

Does anyone know what the Windows version of Ctrl-Shift+hex_code on
Linux is in the Windows version of OO.o 2.0?