On Sunday 20 November 2005 11:18 am, CPHennessy wrote:
> On Sat November 19 2005 01:20, + George Knapp wrote:
> >  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> > Thanks for the response.
> > 1. OpenOffice.org never did work.
> > 2. Writer doesn't work.
> > 3. No problems with other applications.  Probably because I just started
> > from scratch from this used computer (reformatted the hard disk,
> > installed Windows 98 and Linux.  Haven't actually used any of these much,
> > except to try them out.
> > 4. RAM may be the problem.  The computer has only 64 MB RAM.  OpenOffice
> > may need more RAM, but it may not be worth the effort/cost to add RAM.
> > Thanks anyway.
>
> It is almost certainly the amount of RAM on your system that is a problem.
> However if you cannot (or do not want to) spend $20 to $30 to get more RAM,
> then try increasing the "virtual memory" in your system.
>
> Please reply to users@openoffice.org only

     I agree that RAM is the problem. I have a laptop with 160 MB RAM. I have
both Win 98SE and Linux on it. I also use OOo 2.0 on both versions without
the problems you are having. You should also increase the amount of Virtual
Memory if possible. But even so, OOo 2.0 runs slower on my laptop than it
does on my desktop with 256MB RAM.

Dan