Pete Holsberg wrote:

Jonathon Coombes wrote:

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 11:42 -0500, Chad Smith wrote:

On 11/26/05, Fred A. Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I DON'T use the address, but apparently addresses from this list have been
picked up and therefore most of us are getting SPAMMED with this junk!
'Course, those of us who use Linux don't have to worry about it. ;)

Linux prevents SPAM? I use Linux. Tell me how that works. What's the bash
command to prevent SPAM.

No, the spam filters that are freely available on Linux prevent spam.
There are a number of filters out there including spamassassin, cre214,
and others. Alternatively, or in combination, you can use good filtering
rules in your mail client such as Thunderbird or Evolution. It makes the
email virtually spam free!

Well, not exactly. Tell me how to set up a spamassassin filter to get rid of emails in Cyrillic.

Tbird's junk filter doesn't eliminate spam; it identifies it as such and perhaps moves it to a different folder.

Thunderbird has a Bayesian junk/spam detector that will
automatically learn to detect spam based on what you mark
as spam. I look at the sender and subject of junk mail to
be sure it hasn't given false positive test for email being junk.
If there is a false positive, you unmark it as junk and
Thunderbird will learn from that. It has an option that
will move junk to the junk mail folder.

If you make the settings, it moves the junk to the trash after
14 days or so. I don't recall if it empties the trash.

Thunderbird is pretty good if your mail volume isn't HUGE.
It is very much better than anything else I have used, even
Postini service from my dialup ISP.

Warm Regards
David Teague

--

-- David Teague, cs.wcu.edu/~dbt -- Advocating Free Software and Double Bass tuned in fifths -- Classical Bass www.dennismasuzzo.com; www.silviodallatorre.com; www.joelquarrington.com -- Jazz Upright Bass Red Mitchell, home.teleport.com/~mimuma/; www.larryholloway.com/;