Am Sonntag, 18. Dezember 2005 00:38 schrieb Chris BONDE:
> Am Samstag, 17. Dezember 2005 18:26 schrieb Joe Conner:
> > It is unreliable.  :-(
> > For example, put in a cell "=5/17"
> > then format the cell as a fraction.
> > It will give you 2/7.  This is
> > close, but no cigar!
>
> It's all a matter of formatting, i.e. display. Put more "?" in >
> Format > Cell > Format-Code to add more digits.
>
> E.g. "# ?/??" will give you "5/17".
>
> Guido
>
> This is something that I am curious about.
> I think that what you are implying is not only does it round (up?)
> in decimals to fit the sig figs but also in the fractions  or is it
> a quotient function.
>
> How does it distinguish between what I know as decimal fractions and
> common fractions?  Both in documentation and in calculating.

Calc (as well as other spreadsheets as far as I know) doesn't save
numbers as fractions but as decimals. Just enter "0 2/3" into any cell
(the leading 0 is to automatically format the cell to display numbers
as fractions). You will see a decimal number in the entry fiels abover
the table, being displayed as a fraction in the cell itself.

So if the value of 5/17 is displayed as 2/7 in the cell, this doesn't
mean that the number value has been round up or down or changed in any
way, but it is the display of the stored decimal number that's been
changed.

Guido

Thanks Guido.

I take it then that the number is stored as a fixed place decimal.    Chirs