On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 14:22:03 +1100, Dave Barton wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 01:32 -0800, Gloria Balut wrote:
>> Why can't users change the location of where OpenOffice gets
>> installed? I don't want programs on my C: drive. I keep that for the
>> OS only so I can keep an image and do an easy restore. I install
>> programs on a separate logical drive and keep my program data on a 3rd
>> drive so I can back that up fast. I've been wasting my time editing
>> all the registry entries OO did to point it in the right direction -
>> where I manually moved it.
>>
>> I consider this a showstopper for windows people and will not be
>> recommending OO to them. I've used linux for the last 5 years and
>> cannot remember hitting the same wall with any other windows
>> application when I was using windows since maybe Win95 first came out.
>> Every other program allows the user to choose the directory where it
>> should be installed. And to not find this option in OO much stunned
>> me.
>>
>> Please don't copy bad Windows programming.

Been there......Someone on these newsgroups showed me.....

The 'trick' is  in  _:\OpenOffice.org2\program\bootstrap.ini

[Bootstrap]
BaseInstallation=$ORIGIN/..
UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/..
(the above (2)are actual statements in the bootstrap.ini file of mine)
My share & user directories are now both in F:\OpenOffice.org2
pretty much NOTHING of OOo is in C drive!!!!!

[snippets]
The user installation directory is specified in
F:/OpenOffice.org2/program/bootstrap.ini. You can change it there to
point to ur new directory..
UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org2 [original line]
________
In OOo 1.9.x/2.0, the path to the user installation is stored in
<ooo-path>\program\bootstrap.ini (key UserInstallation).  If you set
   UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/..
then your user data will be stored in a new directory <ooo-path>\user.

Dinesh & Stephan, Thanks

Greg
--
  Greg   Agent 1.93/32.576  Opera8.5  OOo2.0 Eudora7
news.readfreenews.net & news.gmane.org      Win98se