Ian ... that did it.  And thanks to your explanation, I understand why.

¡Muchas gracias!
Jon

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Ian Laurenson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Thursday, December 29, 2005 9:12 PM
To:     users@openoffice.org
Subject:        Re: [users] Regular Expression for data in parentheses

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 18:30 -0600, Knight, Jon wrote:
> In Writer, I'd like to Search & Replace all occurrences of data enclosed
in
> parentheses.  I'm able to do so in MS Word by using "\(*\)" as a regular
> expression, without the double-quotes of course.  I have read the regular
> expression section in the OO help, but nothing I try is successful.  I
> thought that "\([:print:]\)" would work, but it doesn't.

Try: "\(.*\)"

The * means zero or more occurrences of the preceding "thing", so in
your case you were searching for zero or more open brackets immediately
followed by a close bracket. (It was finding the close brackets -
right?).

The . means any character, so .* means any group of characters.

But remember that it is "greedy" so that if there is more than one
bracketed expression in a paragraph it will find from the start of the
first bracketed expression to the end of the last. To get around this
problem try: "\([^(]*\)"

This searches for an open bracket, anything that isn't an open bracket
followed by a close bracket.

Thanks, Ian

The information in this message may be proprietary and/or confidential,
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify First Data immediately by
replying to this message and deleting it from your computer.