Mark Twenhafel <marktwen <at> mac.com> writes:

....  The sums are often referenced on another sheet....

> My problem lies in adding a row to a set of data.  I use Cntl-C then
> Paste Special, only pasting in formats and formulas.  When I do this
> in the middle of the "range" of cells being summed, all is well.
> When the new row is added as the last row of the sum, however, the
> new row is not added to the existing sum.
>
> My workaround: in thinking about this, I decided that since the new
> row is being added outside of the range of the existing summation,
First, you can name a range in a spreadsheet document but the range name is
only recognised on the sheet where the named range is located.  This, I
believe, is a major defect in Calc.  A corollary of this defect is that the
range name will not be recognised in another spreadsheet document except in
a hyperlink.

Secondly, database ranges are recognised in different sheets of a document so
I suggest that you use that tool (/Data /Define Range) rather than simple
range names.

Thirdly, you may not have to insert a row out of its proper place.  I have
found that you can obtain automatic extension of a database range by inserting
a row after the last row in the range.  What I mean is, do not simply paste your
data into the next row but first use /Insert /Rows.  I was taking advantage of
that in a macro until recently when the range failed to extend automatically.
I've amended the macro to redefine the range to include the added row.  That may
be the device you have to use ultimately.

Sorry I can't comment on Base.