I just tried Alt-148 with OOo Writer 1.1.5 and the "ö" was inserted exactly where it should be. Seems like your problem is not a OOo bug or maybe there is a setting somewhere... I use a Swedish keyboard and Alt-148 gives me exactly the same result as the ö key.

An easier way to insert special characters is to use the freeware AllChars. It also have some more features than just convert stuff like "Ctrl c o" = "©" etc. You can create macros, like "/ja" = "Johnny Andersson" or "/time" = "19:00:18" (current time in this case) or whatever you want it to mean. It works in ALL applications (as far as I noticed so far).

Have a look at http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

I find it very handy and it's free of course.

Johnny Andersson