I played a little with tabs a minute ago and I found a somewhat strange thing (I use 1.1.5 so maybe this is corrected in 2.0.1).

Here's what I did:

01. New document.
02. Set one or more tabs by clicking in the horisontal ruler.
03. Go to next line by pressing Enter.
04. Change, add and remove some tabs by clicking in the horisontal ruler.
05. Repeat steps 03-04 a couple of time.
06. Ctrl-A (select all).
07. Format -> Paragraph -> Tabs -> Erase all (or something like that; I use 1.1.5, Swedish version)
08. Exit by clicking OK.
09. Check the tabs for each line. They are still there! Erase All didn't work.
10. Repeat steps 06-07.
11. Set a tab by entering a number in the Position field, then click New.
12. Click OK to exit.
13. Check the tabs for each line. Now they are set to the position you entered in step 11. All the other tabs are now erased.
14. Repeat steps 06-08. Now, finally, all tabs are erased...

I also tried this:

01. New document.
02. Set one or more tabs by clicking in the horisontal ruler.
03. Go to next line by pressing Enter.
04. Change, add and remove some tabs by clicking in the horisontal ruler.
05. Repeat steps 03-04 a couple of time.
06. Ctrl-A (select all).
07. Set only one tab by clicking in the horisontal ruler.
08. Remove it again.
09. Check the tabs for each line. They are now erased.
10. Repeat steps 01-07.
11. Check the tabs for each line. You'll find one tab on each line, just where you set it in step 07.

So the answer to your question "So how can I set fixed tabs for existing text?" is:

Just highlight all the text for which you want to set tabs, then just set them. All the tabs that previously were there will just disappear... at least in OOo 1.1.5.

I can't try this witb 2.0.1 since I uninstalled it. My PC was way to slow for it and it was totally unusable for me, unfortunately. Something like 90% (wild guess) of the time was spent waiting for something to happen and I realized that it would shorten my life with a couple of decades (being angry all the time probably shortens your life, I think) if I continued to use it on my PC.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS R450, 256 MB SDRAM, with Windows 98 First Edition. I tried Windows XP once but that was also too slow for me: Almost half a minute to open a folder first time after startup, not making me very happy... I will probably try 2.0 again on my next PC, but by that time it will probably be 3.0 rather than 2.0... ;)

Johnny