Max Haltermann wrote:

Roderick, it seems you missed the original question.
                 I was using a hanging indent style. Hanging
                 indents always place the first word or number
                 to the left of the main body of text in the first
                 line after pressing Enter.
Just like the above paragraph, but only if each line of text
goes the whole width of the page. If you press Enter before
the end of the line of text, a new hanging indent appears.
My requirement was to be able to fit 2 or 3 short lines
of plain text after the first line. Jeans suggested solution was
to use hanging indent style for the first line and then default
style for the short text lines. This would mean changing
style twice every 3 or 4 lines.  My solution Shift/Enter fits
the job. Press Enter and up pops a new hanging indent,
press Shift/Enter and up comes a new line but no hanging
indent.
Max.

For your and others' future reference (if you haven't already figured this out or looked it up when you first solved the problem), Shift/Enter places what's called a "new line" code rather than a "new paragraph" code. That means the new lines are part of the same paragraph and therefore keep the same style you've already set up. So the Shift/Enter solution would work similarly with other types of paragraphs as well, such as bulleted or numbered paragraphs or regular indents or any other style where the first line is different from the rest of the paragraph.

Also, if you have a document with paragraph breaks where you really need new line breaks, you can find and replace to change them all, although I don't recall the exact steps off the top of my head.

Kira