Dennis Marks <denmarks <at> yahoo.com> writes:
> >I have a spreadsheet with multiple records (lines). Within each record
> >there is a cell containing 1 or more strings separated by commas. Is there
> >a way to search for a string and return the line number of the record that
> >contains the cell with the string. For example:
> > LINE CELL1 CELL2 CELL3 CELL4 CELL5
> > 0001 AAAA BBBBB CCCC a, b, c, d, EEEEE
> > 0002 AAAA BBBBB CCCC e, f, g, h, EEEEE
> >
> > Search the column with cell4 and find the line with the f in it. Line 2
> > would be returned. I know that I can search for e,f,g,h and find it but I
> > want to only search for a single item.

I don't follow your example but I think the MATCH function might be what you're
after.  To illustrate, I have a vertical list with 14 text codes and a heading,
a total of 15 rows.  In the 10th row, the code "HZN".  To get an exact match, I
use the parameter 1: =MATCH("HZN";_TableCodes;1) which yields 10.  If I change
the parameter to 0 and look for a near match: =MATCH("HSN";_TableCodes;0) I get
9 although the code in the previous row is FML.  You work it out, I can't.  If I
want an exact match and try =MATCH("HSN";_TableCodes;0), I get #N/A.