Bruce Byfield wrote:
Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
If you can tell me where the dashes are, that would be a great help.

I believe that an en-dash is 173 on the extended ASCII encoding table,
while an em dash is available under General Punctuation as Unicode 2014.

No, 173 is some other type of hyphen. However, 2014 is an em dash, and 2013 turns out to be the en dash. Thank you for the pointer! I will put this into the Writer Guide somewhere.

You might also look into converting to a UTF-8 keyboard locale so that
you can type all special characters rather than picking them one at a
time out of a dialog window.

I now have a very nice little Windows program called AllChars which includes the en and em dashes as well as characters for a great many non-English alphabets and is keystroke-driven. This was a lot easier for me to implement than changing the keyboard locale.

http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

OOo help gives a somewhat murky account of how to setup keyboards for
typing special characters. I've pieced together how to enable UTF-8 on
Linux, if it's not already used, and the article will be appearing on
Newsforge on February 6.

Oh, good! I'm glad to hear that, because your articles are always such good explanations of stuff that confuses me. I'd like to get this working on the Linux side of my computer, if and when I have time.

Cheers, Jean