pollyf1944 <pollyf1944 <at> comcast.net> writes:

> I was curious about the column formatting feature. In Lotus 123 and Excel it
seems that you can format a colum by the number of characters and spaces but in
Calc it seems like it wants an exact figure in inches? how can I transition my
files and my using the columns to format by characters instead of inches?

You can choose optimal width for columns.  It seems to set to the maximum length
of the selected cells regardless of any preset measurement.  It also seems to
work whether you de-select "default" or not.  It may be that if you de-select
"default", it finds the widest contents in the column as a whole, i.e. not just
in your selection.  Regardless of such finer points, I manage without much
trouble to get columns to a suitable width without any complex calculations.