Jean Hollis Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> I have never been able to *find* the em-dash or en-dash in the
> Special Characters list, and I can't find anything about it in
> the Help (which talks only about the AutoCorrect method of
> inserting dashes), so your method doesn't work for me. I suspect
> that the vast majority of OOo users would have the same problem.
>
> If you can tell me where the dashes are, that would be a great help.

Jean, if you look in my sigfile, there is a macro to insert a special
character. Currently it inserts a German esszet, which I doubt will
display in this message. But it could quickly and easily be edited to
insert am em dash. Try this. the hex that OOo uses for em dashes is 2013.
I think word uses one character off

Function insertSpecialChar(sChar)
        'sChar is the char to be inserted
        Dim oDocument as Object
        Dim oText as Object
        Dim oVCursor, oCursor As Object
        oDocument=thiscomponent
        oText = oDocument.Text
        ' after this, an obscure call gets the current cursor position
        oVCursor = oDocument.currentcontroller.getViewCursor()
        ' now try either
        oText.insertString(oVCursor.getStart(),sChar,false)
End Function

Sub InsertEmDash
' this is an example for the use of InsertSpecialChar
InsertSpecialChar(chr(2013))
end Sub

--
Andrew Brown