On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 17:20 -0500, Victor Chapman wrote:
> Victor Chapman wrote:
> > I have imported a table of health care benefits received into calc.
> > One of the columns is headed "Service Date." Originally the dates were
> > text. They are all in the form DD MMM YYYY ( e.g.10 FEB 2005). I
> > applied a user defined format to this column so that calc would
> > recognize the data as dates and not text. This does not seemed to have
> > worked. When I do the sort, it only sorts on DD and ignores the rest.
> > So where do I go from here.
> >
> > TIA
> The original column of dates was imported as text. I think that I need
> to format the column as containing dates, but I also need to go through
> a conversion, perhaps of the original text dates to give them a date
> value. I don't know how to do this.

Okay. When you highlight a cell in your spreadsheet does the Forumula
toolbar display the date in the following format 31/10/2006? If it does
then you have formatted the cell correctly. If not, then you will have
to see if the format you specified is actually in use. I tested with a
date format of D MMM YYYY
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead