Victor Chapman wrote:

I have imported a table of health care benefits received into calc. One of the columns is headed "Service Date." Originally the dates were text. They are all in the form DD MMM YYYY ( e.g.10 FEB 2005). I applied a user defined format to this column so that calc would recognize the data as dates and not text. This does not seemed to have worked. When I do the sort, it only sorts on DD and ignores the rest. So where do I go from here.

TIA

If you've just formatted the cells as Date using Format cells that wont work as you'll need to convert the values to an actual DATE number. I've just tried what I think you've done and all it does is sort them by Day not month or anything. Here is the solution...

Next to Service Date insert a new column

In that Column insert the following...

=DATEVALUE([PLACE WITH SERVICE DATE])

replace [PLACE WITH SERVICE DATE] with the row column the service date is in... e.g. if your service date is in A1 enter

=DATEVALUE(A1)

This will show a weird number - don't worry about that, that is the number of days passed since a certain date (I think it's some date in the 60's!) - but that's how all spreadsheets deal with dates..

Now format that new cell with DATEVALUE in it as a DATE format, you can format it any way DD/MM/YY etc. It will now turn that weird number into the actual date e.g. 10/02/05.

If you want to do this for an entire column of dates select the cell you just put DATEVALUE into and move your mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the cell so it turns into a + sign, click and drag down to cover all the way down to the bottom of the data.
Regards

Darren