On Feb 9, 2006, at 10:46, Bram Binneweg wrote:

Dear Sirs,

A while ago I installed your Openoffice on my pc (windows xp) and it works nicely. My wife and I also work on Mac (Tiger 10.4.4) and would like to install your Openoffice Suite on this system. Is there a possibility? I tried to download but it doesn't work. Thank you for answering my request,

Kind regards,

Bram Binneweg

OpenOffice relies on the X-11 windowing system. Apple has a version available to install on OS X 10.4. The easiest is to download and install it from Apple's web site. You may also have it on the OS X 10.4 disks. After X-11 is installed, OpenOffice should install and work for you. Be forewarned that there are still a few rough edges on 2.0 on the Mac. You may or may not run into them depending on your useage
of OOo.

OOo is very standardized in its appearance and function across platforms. NeoOffice/J is a port of OpenOffice to the Mac that uses Apple's windowing system and open and save dialogs among other things and is more Mac like in appearance and operation. NeoOffice/J also does not use X-11 and installs and runs like any other application on the Mac.

OOo 1.1x requires X-11, stable, like other OOo implementations in appearance and operation. Uses OOo 1.1.x file format NeoOffice/J No X-11, stable. more Mac like. Uses Mac dialogs for open and save. Uses Mac fonts. Uses OOo 1.1.x file format OOo 2.0 requires X11, still has a few minor problems, like other OOo implementations in appearance and operation. Uses odt file format

The latest version of NeoOffice/J with patches can read odt, but not write it.

I have all three on both my Mac at work and home. I also have OOo 1.1.x on some of my linux boxes and OOo 2.0 on the more recent linux installations. Other than remembering to save in the older format when I wan to open a file on other machines that don't have 2.0, I have
had no real problems of any major impact.

I have run into two problems OOo with 2.0 on the Mac. The first was that it would not open or save files to my samba server at work. This was fixed by a simple edit of a file in the program to change permissions. The second is that it has a problem with sending a file via the mail program. This worked in the OOo 1.1.x series and with NeoOffice/J. I have to spend some more time on this one. Meanwhile I save the document to disk
as a pdf and attach it from the mail program. Not as convenient.

So the choice is yours as to which version of OOo you want to use.

Ross Bernheim