On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 07:57 +0000, mike scott wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2006 at 17:14, Derick Centeno wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 11:37 -0800, Leslie Martin wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My daughter uses microsoft powerpoint at school.  Sometimes she would
> > > like to bring her file home to work on but I don't have powerpoint and
> > > can't afford it.  Openoffice seems to be the solution for her to work on
> > > her powerpoint homework.  Is that true?  Will she be able to convert it
> > > back to the school version so the teacher can see it?
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > >
> > > Leslie Martin
> >
> > Sure.  Understand, however that the commands are located in different
> > places and used or invoked in a different manner.  Suggestion: Download
>
> I get something of the same problem.  The pressures in the UK are for
> schools to use M$, never mind the costs imposed on kids/parents.  This
> is compounded by the teaching methods, which seem to be of the form "to
> do /this/ press /that/" (causing a mental lock-in to the exact "taught"
> software) rather than giving pupils an understanding of the
> /principles/ involved which would enable use of a broad range of
> products.
>
> Meanwhile my sons still complain that I refuse to buy M$.

Your comments are worthy of someone who really is thinking of the roots
of the problem of what Technology is and how it should be approached as
a tool to be mastered.  However, many are taking the easier road and
avoiding the challenge of teaching students to actually think.

Reacting to this problem accurately and appropriately is similar to
reacting to the challenge of a family believing in non-violence being
surrounded by neighbors and their children engage in everything from
wrestling to karate -- what to do?  Have your kids and family study
Aikido, Tai Chi, Ba Kua, Hsing I, Hwrang Do -- the arts of self
development which also emphasize nonviolence, and restraint.

In my opinion, Open Office is along those lines of an alternative
offering -- a different approach.  Luckily Open Office is free (if you
meet the right Master even studying any of the nonviolent martial arts
can be financially reasonable or nearly free). Open Office is a decent
alternative to Microsoft products while offering you, your sons, and
others a critical and essential means/tool of learning what is necessary
in the modern and competitive world which surrounds us all.  We can
learn these tools however our way, on our own terms while also providing
a solution which provides different tools while also exploring a better
and deeper understanding of technology as a tool under the discipline of
one's mind.

Saying no to Microsoft, or to violence, isn't enough.  One needs to have
an alternative and workable strategy to address the needs of the moment.
Open Office, like these other lesser popular martial arts are less known
because they require stronger attention and longer training.

Likewise some features don't exist in Open Office and need to be
programmed into it; now what other opportunity does a student have to
demonstrate to their instructors/teachers their learning capacity than
to show that they not only use Open Office but improved it by
contributing to the programming effort to implement their own idea which
that student dreamed up.  That student would be considered on the inside
track to the better universities, no?  Certainly, that student would
attract the attention of various companies....