Laurent,

I haven't followed entire thread, forgive me if I've
missed something key to my reply.

But, have you tried GIF format?  I used to use JPG,
but found blurry in versions of OO (from 1 onward).
For fun, I tried GIFs and they're much sharper, crisp,
and scale much better than the JPG images.  Of course,
they're much larger in size (lossy versus lossless
trade off) and the document is much larger as a
result.  But the graphics are much nicer :)

-fd