Questions regarding OS X and using md5 with open office has appeared several times within the open office mail in various discussions. The information here ought to be posted somewhere as a reference permanently. I'm willing to rewrite it in English or Spanish as necessary.

I am writing to correct some misunderstanding regarding md5 and it's availability on OS X. Too bad, it's going to get lost in amongst all the other emails.

Apple does have it's own very of md5 within it's Disk Utility application. However, that version provides a very different type of processing in determining md5 values. The more common md5sum test is available, and it is not necessary to refer outside of OS X for it -- nor is it necessary to install anything extraneous to what is already found within OS X itself. The md5sum test which is very familiar to Windows and Linux users, is available within an application in OS X called Terminal. Do:

$ md5 filename

where filename is the name of the file to be tested and the md5sum test will report in the same format one sees in Linux or other environments.

Try it out.

Best wishes ....