On 21 Feb 2006, at 13:17, Dan Lewis wrote:

>      Have you looked in your  /home/jjj/tmp folder (directory) ? There should
> be some folders in it with some odd names. sv111.tmp and sv1fc.tmp are the
> names of a couple of mine. You may be able to find something in them.
>      Have you tried Control+Z with this file open?

Thanks for the suggestion. There is a folder in /tmp that looks like what
you described. But inside it are just half a dozen very small files, all with a
time stamp that could not possibly have anything to do with the lost file.

And yeah, I did try a Ctrl-z, and also looked at the Edit > Undo menu, but
a file save is apparently not undoable.

The file is lost. I do have a paper printout copy that I made yesterday, so
it's not a total disaster. More importantly, Steven Cox knew what was
wrong -- the checkbox for Always Make Backups was not checked. It is
now, so this will not happen again. However, I know I never unchecked that
box. That means that the installation utility leaves that box unchecked by
default. That is very bad. I don't like the Windows way of holding the user's
hand all the time, but something like this defnitely should be the default.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and help.