[CC'd to user]
In news:[EMAIL PROTECTED],
Michael Lemma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:

> >  i recently downloaded open office on my newer (dell) laptop. for
> > some reason, saved text documents don't seem to be able to be saved
> > as "open office " documents...and therefore i cannot open them
> > conveniently from the desktop or folder.

What is the exact and full file name of the file when it is saved (you may
have to change the Windows setting to show file extensions)? Do they have an
".odt" extension? Does the File|Save dialog have "Automatic file name
extension" ticked? If not, tick it.

> >  when i save a text document i use the default option which is to
> > save the document as an "open office...". I have attached a copy of
> > a random document.

Attachments do not get through to the mailing list.

> > when i open it, i first have to select "open
> > office" from a list of programs. the option to "always open the
> > document with this program" is not an option (it is shaded out so i
> > cannot select it). also, right-clicking does not give me any option
> > to alsways recognize it as an open office doc.
> >
> >  just to be sure, i deleted the program from the computer and
> > re-downloaded it. same problem.

Did the installation work properly? What version of OOo?

--
Bob Long