On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 20:52 -0500, Ed Nisley wrote:
> >      Why don't you
> > 1) Create a frame where you want the picture to go,
> > 2) Click outside and then inside the frame,
> > 3) Insert > Picture > From file to place the picture in
> the frame,
> > 4) and  Insert > Caption for the caption?
> >        You can then resize the frame and/or picture as you
> desire.
>
> That produces a default frame with an empty paragraph
> inside, above which I'd insert the picture. Then I'd add a
> caption to the frame and delete the empty paragraph. Then
> I'd reformat the default frame to match the layout I want,
> a process which looks like it could get downright tedious
> after the first few hundred pages.
>
> Is there a blindingly obvious way to set the default frame
> attributes that I just haven't discovered?

Coming in late on this thread, I was going to suggest creating a Frame
Style. Use "Insert - Picture" and then change it's frame style to the
predefined style. It does seem you always have to add the caption
(context-menu - Caption) manually. It's a macro by the looks of it that
adds a second frame and the text. I wouldn't use "Insert - Frame".

> Anyhow, what I've been doing up to this point is creating
> one generic picture frame with all the right spacing,
> borders, and suchlike. Used to be, you could just cut/copy
> that thing from one spot and paste it into another, then
> stick in the new picture & caption. That made getting
> identical frames with captions dead simple.

Frame Styles.

> But that seems not to work now. Or, at least, it doesn't
> work often enough to be usable, which is pretty much the
> same thing.

This does seem to be more difficult to use than it needs to be. The
image and the caption are copied and the reference number is auto-
incremented. (You must make sure that you select the outer frame however
- the one containing the caption.)

But, I don't seem to be able to simply replace the image in the inner
frame except by deleting it and then inserting a new one from file. Then
I need to set the frame attributes again (but this is tolerable if I've
defined a style).

It would be nice to be able to just select the picture frame and insert
or assign a new file and retain the other attributes.