I hope it's just a matter of my not understanding how this
is supposed to work, as my ignorance is -easy- to fix.

The story so far: I'm laying out text & illustrations for a
7x9" technical book that'll weigh in at about 400 pages. I
installed OOo 2.02, followed the User Guild recipe for
master documents, built a bunch of dummy chapter
subdocuments, worked out page & chapter numbering, dumped
the text & images into one of the chapters, and started
doing the layout to see if this will all work.

Showstopper: a picture must not be anchored to a page in a
subdocument, lest it disappear in the master document. The
User Guide says (on page 328): "This is expected behavior;
it is a limitation of the master document concept." Well,
okay, maybe that was expected, but it sure looks like an
"oops" to me. Why not just anchor them to the same relative
page from the start of the chapter?

I tried to anchor illustrations to the paragraphs that
reference them, but several illustrations then cause
pagination problems. There's not enough room on the page
for both the paragraph -and- the illustration, so the
illustration jumps to the next page, sucks its "anchoring"
paragraph along, and leaves a huge blank hole on the

The only solution seems to be anchoring the illustration to
an unrelated paragraph that just happens to wind up on the
correct page. This is a nontrivial process, because the
pagination jumps around relentlessly as I drag the anchor
to various likely spots to see what happens. Changing the
illustration's position on the page also causes amusing
twitchiness.

Having found a more-or-less stable configuration, the master
then document repaginates all the text and introduces the
same problems all over again in different places.
Sometimes, entirely blank pages (with headers & footers)
appear as if by magic, with the offending illustration &
anchor text falling on the next non-blank page.

I have permuted the various Compatibility settings that
affect wrapping, but cannot find -any- combination that
works. Depending on the settings, text preceding the
anchors ignores the illustration's wrapping mode or
illustrations (seemingly randomly) jump to the next page.
Or worse. To 2.0.2's credit, though, it hasn't crashed yet!

Independent of all that, numbered equations -never- obey the
illustration's wrap setting when it's anchored to a
paragraph or character: the equations simply trundle behind
the illustration without wrapping. When the offending
illustration is page-anchored, the equation respects the
wrap, but tends to offset itself vertically leaving huge
holes (and, besides, no page anchors in a subdocument). I
could manually adjust each equation's table width when it
hits an illustration, but that would then change the master
document pagination.

Basically, there seems to be no way to do nontrival page
layout in a subdocument that will also work in a master
document.

Am I missing something really obvious here? Or is this whole
master document thing really as poorly thought out and
badly implemented as it seems?

I laid out my previous (well, okay, only) book some years
ago using Framemaker and, apart from a few quirks, It Just
Worked. I had hoped that OOo master documents would suffice
for book building, but the quirks (seem to, so far) vastly
outnumber the benefits.

Looking further afield...

Scribus seems intended for magazine-class layout, as it
lacks any support for ToC/Index generation,
cross-references, bibliographies, and suchlike. I'd rather
do layout than (try to) build an index by hand...

Tex and LaTex convert document composition into a
programming project, but that may be the only way out of
this mess. However, just because it worked for Knuth (may
he live forever) doesn't mean poor little old me can dope
it out...

What do folks use to build technical books on Linux systems?
I -really- don't want to build up a Windows box just to see
if I can reinstall Framemaker!

Thanks...

--
Ed