On 16/03/2006, at 9:34 AM, Ian Laurenson wrote:

I am the "devil incarnate" who wrote the "RevealCodes" macro as a proof
of concept - it is certainly not a fully functional macro. However, it
could be if people actually showed sufficient interest to get involved.

SNIP!

Alternatives to reveal codes
----------------------------

Status quo: see effective format of current selection by opening format
paragraph and format font dialogs. Check against format of paragraph
style and character styles.

Low level XML editor: this is my preferred choice. To me it would be
great to be able to go View > XML and see the current document in a low
level XML editor.

I thought about a possible compromise that might work quite well, so I want to present it and see what people think about it. It seems that the reveal codes people want to see the "formats" applied, and the stylists want to remain true to style methodologies. How about we have a hierarchical representation of the applied styles. That is, for the current page at least, show the page style, then each of the applied paragraph styles, within each shows the character styles etc. Here is a quick example:

Current Page
        -> Default Page
                -> Heading 1
                -> Text Body
                -> Text Body
                        -> Emphasis
                        -> Italics
                        -> Preformatted Text
                -> Image Frame
                -> Text Body
                -> Footer

This shows that our page is using the default page style, has a heading, 3 paragraphs with an image, and a footer. Clicking on any one of these will highlight the appropriate area/object within the page. This may (or may not) be expanded to include hard formatting I am guessing.

This fits in somewhat with what already exists in the "Applied Styles" option in the Styles and Formatting window. Maybe this could be expanded to fit, or maybe another option in the navigator.

What do people think?

Regards
Jonathon