CarlP wrote:
Immanuel CRC Office wrote:
CarlP wrote:

G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:59 -0500, CarlP wrote:

.mer is a file type that is a special csv file type export option by Filemaker Pro (6 and earlier) that contains field names (a straight csv export by FMP for some reason doesn't include field names). This file type is readily used by M$Word and other M$ software as a data source for mail merges.

Some time ago I asked about how to use .mer files directly as an OO data source but thus far haven't found a way to do so without jumping through a number of hoops. If I can't use it directly for mail merges, then I'd at least like to force OO to use Calc to open this file type. Instead, it opens with Writer, and I can't find a setting to make it open in Calc. BTW, if I simply change the extension to csv, it opens fine in Calc. But I don't want to have to do this every time I create a new data source and mail merge.

Sorry, I do not understand. Are you saying that selecting Text CSV in
the file type drop down for open is failing or that you haven't tried
it? I ask because it works for me.

Sorry for the confusion. CSV opens fine for me. What I want to do is force OO to use Calc when it opens a file of type .mer instead of Writer (this is the special csv file type I mentioned above).

Hope this helps,
Carl

Carl:

When you are in Calc, do File->Open. Select your .mer file. Then in the Type box, select Text CSV. This will open it properly.

Crystle

BTW, in case you are wondering, I'm on WinXP Home and OO 2.0.2

Crystle, this helps but I still can't use this to simply double click (or right click and choose Open With) and open with Calc.

OK, a little more to this mystery. I next tried mapping the .mer file type as an Open Document Spreadsheet (.ods), thinking that would make it open with Calc, and even that didn't work. To do this I created a new file type (mer) and clicked the Advanced options to associate it with the Open Document Spreadsheet file type. This should have made Windows treat it like an OO spreadsheet file (.ods). Instead, I get an icon of an OD Spreadsheet, as I'd expect, but it still opens in Writer.

Go figure. I thought I could take care of it through Windows, but somehow OO is overriding that association and opening with Writer. Could this be a bug? Or is it really a feature request? Any other ideas for how to do this?

Since you are using Windows, why not just rename *as* you open?

Select the .mer file in the OpenOffice file dialog, press F2, and either replace .mer with .csv or with .mer.csv.

The drawback is you can't open by directly clicking on the icon.

Jallan