I guess my first question would be why would you even consider an OS from a "nuthouse", I know I have avoided Windows like the plague :)

BTW -- I think you are being a little hard on Ubuntu, The site is very complete, the wiki answers questions that I would have never thought to even ask, and there is a very active support community.

Remember that accessing anything from a 52x CD rOM will take about 12 times longer than from your hard drive (you don't notice a 1 second delay, but 12 seconds seems like forever) -- and with your fairly low RAM you will be hitting the disk often.

Just as an option, take a look at vector linux -- I just did an install on a dell PII 166 laptop with 64 MB, you get a nice (reasonably fast) desktop, a very complete set of apps (including OO.o 2.0) -- and they also have a live CD so you can test drive.

Have fun!

Andy
Spitfire Computer Services
441 Beaver Street