Den 2006-03-21 12:43:37 skrev Oude Muziek Brabant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello,
I have a few questions on using open office. Perhaps you can help me?

1) I would like to install only the spreadsheet-function of open office
(perhaps later the whole package). Is this possible and..
1b) I have installed Microsoft works spreadsheet but this offers very litte functions and options. I want the same user friendliness as Excel. Bearing
this in mind: Is the open office version an improvement on the
works-spreadsheet?

2) If I download the total open office package, does it overwrite my .doc
documents?

1a) I think you can install only Calc if you want to, however you still have to download the whole package.

1b) As far as I know you can't really compare MS Works with OpenOffice Calc. Calc is more like Excel. There are a lot of things that you can do with calc which you can't do with Excel and there are som things you can do with Excel that you can't do with Calc (I think). It all depends on what you want to do. I never understodd what MS Works is good for. For me it's totally useless.

2) No, you have to install it first. Then the installation program will look for all your DOC files and overwrite them with spectacular rubbish and viruses.

=)

Only kidding, of course it won't overwrite anything, but I guess you really want to know if your DOC files, after installing OpenOffice, will be opened with OpenOffice and not MS Word when clicking them, right? And the answer to that one is YES and NO. You decide that when installing OpenOffice. There are some checkboxes to uncheck or check. Just don't click the "NEXT" button without reading everything in the dialog box carefully first, and there won't be any problems, I think.

Johnny Andersson

I hope to hear from you.

Renk van Oyen (The Netherlands)