Jonathon Blake wrote:
Robin wrote:

It is a summary box that does not require changing the focus and
active window.

VCurrently available.

What is VC?  I have not found any single window that displays all of
the active styles on my version of OOo 2.0.

Something that allows me to move my cursor through the affected
text to find out why my text is

Currently available in OOo.

Again, where?  I see the styles box but there are different tabs
(icons) that I have to click to get a full picture.

Why I cannot get the default style to change the particular
attribute.  What is causing it.

That usually is becuse of one of two situations: i) The user simply
does not know wht the attribute of the default style is; ii)
Somebody decided to be stupid, and apply direct formtting, instead of styles.

In the second instance, the solution is to sele3ct _just_ the text
to which direct formatting was applied, and then go >Foramt
>default" The solution in the first instance is to know what the
attributes of the styles that youa re using are.

There really is _no_ excuse for not knowing all of the attributes
of all the styles that one uses.

What about imported documents?  Am I supposed to know all the styles
that are used by all the people that may make a document that I have
to work with or take a piece of or add to?

Are you saying that all the formatting should be removed and
forgotten about?

Is it content, or markup?

The former must be retained, the latter can be, and usually should
be, discarded.

That is the question.  It is hard to decide and must be made on each
occasion that works for the project.

Don't forget to add in the create the necessary styles to achieve
what you have to achieve.

Trivial.  That takes all of one minute, if creating them on the
fly. If you need to create 100+ styles t a time, open the
approprite style sheet, and edit it in a text editor.  [And pay
attention ot the markup code you use.]

This is the biggest problem with styles.  You have to know what
the individual styles do.

Of course you have to know what the indivdiaul styles do.

You don't need to setup a style in WP before you edit a document.

You cna do that in OOo.

I ask, why do I have to know what each style does before I can
edit a

document?

Would you drive a car with four foot pedals, if you didn't know the
 function of each of those pedals?

But that is only 4 pedals and will still be based on a car. Same with a tank or tracked vehicle. They are all different but are basically the same. As you state, you cannot be by with only one or two styles. A style can change so much that it would be impossible to know every one. As I said earlier and this is the biggest problem. I have to work with documents from others that I cannot restyle as I see fit all the time. I may not or won't know their style. Also the style/format may be created with OOo as it imports from some other source.

Why do I need to remove all the present formatting of the
document I am importing before I can format it?

Because the process of importing a document, from one file format
to another, will automatically introduce artifacts taht were not
part of the original documetn, and delete artifacts that were part
of the original document.   It doesn't matter if the format change
is from WP 7 to WP8, or from WordStar.doc to Writer.ASC.
Formatting artifacts will be dded, or deleted.

You make my point as to know how the formatting is changed in a simple way. Thank you. I agree and this is where RC is so great. I also feel that styles will be great as well if I knew what style(s) were doing what at the point that I am having a problem. Is it a change in a character coding, paragraph, line or page that has just occurred.

Show me the link to a dialog box that puts all this information
in a quick and easy to scan dialog box that allows me to watch it
as I move

A:   i) Dock Stylist to the screen edge. ii) Set stylist to show
"Applied Styles" iii) Adjust to the appropriate style.  [Usually
this will be pragrpah of character, but it might be numbering.]

This is almost what I would like. I never knew about the "Applied Styles" selection. Now if I could dock the list at the bottom of the screen so I can see the whole width of text. I could zoom the page down but then it is hard to read. Damn older eyes.

B: i)  ">Tools >Configure >Toolbars" ii) CLick on "Customize" iii)
Under "Toolbars" select "Function Bar" iv) Under "Availble
Buttons", select "Format" v) Move all style attributes over to the
"Function Bar" vi) Check all attributes you just moved; vii) Go
thru the other options under "Availble Buttons", movign attrbiutes
as approprite; viii) Click the "OK" button ix) ">View >Toolbars" x)
Check the "Function Toolbar"
-

I don't see all of these in my version of OOo. Linux based. I will have to look and see if I can do the same at a later time.

That gives you an alternative way of seeing all of teh attribute changes, as they change, when dragging your cursor through a
document.

Are you against making OOo even better?  In my case and my wifes
case,

No.  But your  proposal is to dumb down OOo, forcing people to
emulate the drunk looking for the money he lost under the street
lamp, when he dropped it in a dark alley ten blocks away.

Wrong. I am trying to get a feature that will improve the ability of non Word users to move to OOo. I don't see it as dumbing down.

xan

jonathon -- Ethical conduct is a vice. Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Motto of Nacarima.

--
Robin Laing