Jallan wrote:
klaus schmirler wrote:
...SNIP...

OOo Writer does lag behind MS Word in providing easy ways to discover current formatting properties. But enhancements ought to reveal the structure as it actually exists within OOo Writer, not attempt to emulate a reveal codes interface for an entirely different way of doing things, one which misrepresents what is actually happening with OOo Writer.

Jallan

After looking at the XML files, I feel that Reveal Codes type of dialog as I put in the RFE would meet these requirements. It would provide a very powerful formatting tool without changing the basic operation of OOo.

I feel that Reveal Codes is only a tool to find the formatting changes and as you say about WP, some of them can be in a different location of a document but still only show up at point X. I have seen this. But I have also seen strange things in OOo that I, at the time could not fix, even with deleting more than I could replace.

What OOo has over WP is the tree structure of formatting. If someone has done some direct formatting, you could find this as a particular style has been overridden.

I totally agree, there should be no effort to make OOo work more like WP. The idea is to give users, all users a tool to work within the present OOo structure. Something to allow better control and editing or reformatting of documents.

I would prefer a would prefer something similar to show non-printing characters (show style points) that would indicate when styles change within a document. that is direct formatting or some preset style. Either a hover over the icon or click on the text to reveal all the styles in effect at the time. And the ability to delete or change that style/direct formatting.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762