Yes it can - you just need to understand the differences between OOo and Excel.

First off, OOo uses ";" to separate function components. Your formula
should therefore be :
=if(countif($A$2:A2;A2)>1;"dupe";"")

Same with the other formula. Have a look at
documentation.openoffice.org for tutorials on calc. Even better to
read these before posting questions...

/paul