Hello openoffice,
Please can you help me, I am a new user/owner of an imac mini. it is using the Power PC processor G4 1.33Ghz, 512 DDR SDRAM the OS x version is 10.4.2 Tiger. My problem is I cannot seem to install it. I do not have internet broadband as I live in a rural location.. two tins and wet string would be best at times! I got my friend to download Openoffice for me on to CD and attempted to install it. I opened up the mac folder and found OOo_2.0.0rc3_051016_MacosxPPC_install.dmg. I clicked on this and a wee window appeared with opening OO02 etc...verifying... The bar graph took a minute or so to reach the end. All I got was a window with an icon in it with two seagulls on it. I clicked on this and it put another icon in the task bar which bounced up and down for a few seconds, then disappeared! I thought maybe there was something missing from the download so I bought a cd and extras from uselinux. I again tried to install it, but exactly the same thing happened. The only difference between the downloaded version and the bought CD was an installer that had fondu_04 ericb.pkg written under it. I clicked on this and it installed OK but didn't appear to do anything to aid installation of openoffice. I took said CD to PCWorld in Carlisle from whence I purchased the imac mini, and asked them to try it. Exactly the same thing happened, so this proved to me that I wasn't doing something stupid( or am I?)
When I open the icon i can see all the folders
I read on the web site about looking up in the console log, so I ran it again and have copied what appeared.
It is as follows:
===== Saturday, 15 April 2006 20:11:54 Europe/London =====
Apr 15 20:12:10 erik-jensens-mac-mini crashdump[636]: javaldx crashed
Apr 15 20:12:10 erik-jensens-mac-mini crashdump[636]: crash report written to: /Users/erikjensen/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ javaldx.crash.log Apr 15 20:12:10 erik-jensens-mac-mini crashdump[639]: soffice.bin crashed Apr 15 20:12:10 erik-jensens-mac-mini crashdump[639]: crash report written to: /Users/erikjensen/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/ soffice.bin.crash.log

I'm sure this will mean something to you, it means bu***r all to me!

I also had my friend download Neooffice at the same time..just in case. It works fine but does not appear to have a database, which is what I wanted really.

I hope you can throw some light on this as I am beginning to think I made a mistake replacing my ageing PC for the imac mini.

I await your reply with eager!

Erik S.Jensen