Mahlon Burkhard wrote:
I have been using OOo1.1.5 and earlier versions for several years with Windows
XP and with 98 and had not observed this behavior before.
Mahlon Burkhard

Mahlon:

Did this begin to occur immediately after upgrading to OOo 2.0.2? If not, it could be many things, including malware or a virus. Do you have anti-malware / virus programs running?

So many things can affect Windows XP stability.

I also would suggest using Thunderbird for email. It will import all your OE mail and settings, has spam filters and spellcheck, plus it has a much much better security track record than OE. You can download it for free here: http://mozilla.com

Crystle

----- Original Message ----- From: CPHennessy To: users@openoffice.org ; Mahlon Burkhard Sent: Monday, April 17, 2006 6:38 AM
  Subject: Re: [users] Open Office 2.0.2 causes Outlook Express close.

  On Sat April 15 2006 21:17, + Mahlon Burkhard wrote:
  >  [ MODERATED ] ********************
  > I have installed and uninstalled OpenOffice 2.0.2 twice and believe that
  > the presence of 2.0.2 in the computer but not opened interferes with
  > Microsoft Outlook Express. Only when OOo 2.0.2 is installed Outlook Express
  > about every six to twelve hours shuts down with the message "Outlook
  > Express has encountered a problem and needs to close......" The operating
  > system is XP Professional, 1GB of RAM, Outlook Express 6.0. I downloaded
  > and installed Microsoft KB900930 but this did not alter the operational
  > problem. Release OOo 1.1.5 does not have this problem.

  I have never heard of such a problem previously with Outlook.

  Did this happen with previous versions of OpenOffice.org ?

Also consider an alternative email tool ( Thunderbird from http://mozilla.org is a very good one).

  Please reply to users@openoffice.org only

-- CPH : openoffice.org contributor

  http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ