I have found two options for vertical text boxes if I understand your problem correctly.

In Writer, click the table icon and then click one solitary cell. A text box results which can be resized and formatted using "table properties" at the bottom of the drop-down box from Table in the standard toolbar.

Alternatively, open Calc and select a cell.
Click "Format" and then click "cell properties".
The resulting dialog box gives you quite a bit of latitude in terms of formatting the text within the cell. After you get the text entered and the cell formatted the way you want them. Copy the cell to your document.