I am getting ready to uninstall openoffice from my computer and install
MSOffice
I really wanted to give your program a chance but it is frustrating me to no
end.
The auto format tool is difficult at best to understand. There is no clear
way to turn it off (I understand that somehow under autoformat-while typing
it turns on or off, but which is on and when is never explained and neither
seems to make any difference in the document). I had finally thought I could
live with it when the program started messing with my line spacing, making
it wider while claiming it was still at single line spacing. I can find no
function to correct this and I am fed up.

If you really want to create an alternative to MSOffice, learn from them:
install a function where anything autoformatted, when hovered over with the
mouse, shows an option to reverse the formatting. And install a clear option
to turn autoformat off (hint: it should say "on" and "off").

Thanks for giving it a good try.
Ben