Ross Johnson wrote:

Cor Nouws wrote:

When we've finished that, the next step comes ...

Here are a few of the more obvious points, to start the ball rolling:

1) Should it apply to both pages and columns?
2) Affects all text between page or column breaks.
3) The obvious things should happen if there is more than one full page or column of text - i.e. text flows to the next page, which comforms to the same alignment. 4) Should the alignment be part of the page style? How should OOo handle columns (which don't have styles)?
5) Do we need column styles?
6) What are the rules when the centre of a page is "occupied" (e.g. by a vertically centred table or frame with wrap attributes)? Does the vertically centred text go above or below the vertically centred frame or table?

On second thoughts [re starting a collaborative specification for an as yet unimplemented vertical text centring feature]:

1) Columns are part of the page style, so can be handled as part of the page vertical centred text. 2) If a page has more than one column, text begins vertically centred in the first (left? or right? - internationalisation dependencies here?) column.
3) Should be an attribute of page style, not paragraph style?
4) If the page or column contains a vertically centred object (e.g. frame or table) with text wrapping on, and text can't flow around one or both sides of the object/s then text starts either above or below (decision?), with lines of text distributed equally across the object, with any extra line if total (count or space?) is uneven going above/below. 5) Is specific to text only? Any objects anchored to text will obey normal existing rules for anchors? 6) What does MS Office do? Should it be the same (presentation, not implementation), or can it be improved? Other examples?

Must take a closer look at what happens in frames which already have this, and since pages and frames should be consistent presumably.

Ross

I wouldn't try to over-think this thing. MS Word doesn't have Page Styles per se, it's more of a direct formatting thing (under the File menu of all places), although the dialog that comes up is very similar to Writer's Page Style dialog.

I know you have to specify what happens in every situation, but where this normally comes up is vertically centering something like a short letter. More complex situations should be handled with frames.

I may have more to say on this when I get done with Finals in a couple weeks.

--

Rod