Tuesday, May 2, 2006, 12:25:04 PM, Lobo wrote:

L> On 4/28/06, G. Roderick Singleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > As long as they don't turn the Suite into fatware, you (collectively) can
>> have as many of these toys as you want, but IMO the default should recognise
>> that I have two shift keys and I'm not an idiot, and I should get back
>> exactly what I type unless I ask for something else.
>> >
>> > Chuck Sardeson
>> >

L> Apparently you are in fact an idiot, since you so carelessly throw the
L> term about. Your intolerance and complete lack of understanding of the
L> wide range of possibilities are remarkable.

Oh, my.  Your powers of perception must be truly astonishing if you can discern
so much from one mere snippet of text.  I was frustrated and annoyed the other
day when I was trying to type a comment into the bottom of a spreadsheet, and
Calc persisted in capitalizing letters I wanted as lower case, even after I
corrected them.  It never would have occurred to me that my moment of
displeasure would rise to the level of intolerance.

What *will* get me up to, and past, intolerance is to be called an "idiot" by
some anonymous bully on a public mailing list just because I expressed an
unshared opinion.

L> Those of us who are true touch-typers and don't indulge in the bad
L> habit of staring at the screen as we are inputting text can't always
L> notice when the shift key doesn't register (even though it's been
L> pressed). It's a matter of efficiency and mechanical error. That is
L> particularly the case when working on an unfamiliar, poorly engineered
L> and/or worn keyboard.

Well, If I were writing this sort of stuff, I wouldn't want to be staring at
the screen, either.  I've never seen mastery of touch typing as a one-step
ladder to the moral high ground, but that may just be the result of my
newly-diagnosed impaired imagination.

L> Then there are the people who _never_ use the <Shift> key or never
L> turn <Caps Lock> off, and when text they supply is needed for an
L> article it makes much more sense to have a simple menu item to
L> correct. That particular scenario is usually the result of someone
L> being an inconsiderate lazy jerk rather than being an idiot. There's a
L> big difference.

L> Then there are those who are genuinely trying to be helpful but are
L> poor or novice typists and have submitted a short article that would
L> have taken some of us only a few minutes to type but has taken them an
L> hour or more to create. Just because they aren't expert typists
L> doesn't make them idiots or their contributions any less valuable. The
L> more tools we have to easily correct "simple" typing mistakes, the
L> better the experience with the application.

If you read nearly as accurately as you assert that you type, you might have
noticed that I did not deny the utility of the options you describe, but asked
only that I not have them thrust upon me against my will.  I can't figure out
whether your world is conic or pyramidal, but I think I've figured out that
whatever else the rules, idiots are those who claim not to be while looking at
their keys.  I'm pretty fast, but I'm not quite a touch typist, so I find that
watching the screen slows me down.  Not to worry, though; First got Terri
Schiavo wrong long-distance, too.

Chuck Sardeson