Andrew,

The java problem I have also occurs on its own installation.  JDK would
not finish its installation because one of its own programs hung for
four hours.  In one case it was 'java' (according to ps -A), and another
time it was pack200 (comes with java).  Ant would not build for the same
reasons.  Java comsumed most of my system resources when I had
Windose and was viewing applets in Netscape, and later when viewing
applets with Netscape in Mandrake Linux.

No, there is no precompiled OOo without java for my system.  My system
was entirely compiled here from source.

Thomas