[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Crystle,

Thanks for your view.

At 15:24 18/05/2006, you wrote:
But why can MS Windows Explorer (or their fine files) search MS Office files?
Because they are both made by MS. Can Explorer find info in Corel WP documents?
No. I just tried to search containing text for a word I know is in a WP file.
Did it find it? No.

The real answer is disappointingly simpler, and there is no
mischevious scheme : some tools do not code the text
from documents as plain strings (WP) or even worse,
they pack (encrypt) the files (OpenOffice).
So unless you have a specific search function that does
somehow "uinderstand" and decode the inforamtion in each file, these formats cannot be "searched".

Explorer's search function is totally dummy : it does
a "string search", and it fails on files where the "text"
isn't represented as an ascii string. period.

Under unix, "grep" would fail on openoffice documents. etc.

To me, this is a limitation of Explorer that I am sure MS wants to keep.

They didn't put any limitation.
But they don't make efforts in offering a better search function,
that's the only reproach we can make.

Best regards,
Bert

Bert:

MS Office keeps in files in binary, not text, but the find can search text strings in them. Am I missing something?

OOo is plain text files, zipped together, so the search is simple to create.

Crystle

please reply only to the list (users@openoffice.org)

--
Crystle Numan