In answer to these questions:

Yes I can minimize and maximize, but not close it. I do not see the program indicated in task manager, and the italics are part of a theme, and do not seem to make a difference since the same title theme is used in all the OO modules.

Thanks again

Mike

Bob Long wrote:
"Mike Masse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To all,
I have checked the md5sum and it matches perfectly.
Here is a screen shot of my desktop almost 5 minutes after trying to
start OO Writer
http://masse.us/oo.gif
All other modules working great ... I am totally stumped

Another thought or three... are you able to do any Move/Size/Minimise etc operations from the top left icon in the title bar?
Does Task Manager indicate if OOo is running or not?
I'm wondering why the words "Untitled1 - OpenOffice.org Writer" are in italics. Is that a Windows theme you have changed? If so, does changing that have any affect? Could it be a font issue?