On 6/2/06, Bob Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Matt Wlazlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I'm noticing some strange behavior while calculating prices on my invoice.
>
> A1=39:50      (hours worked)
> A2=A1*24     (==39.83)
> A3=65           (rate)
> A4=A3*A2
>
> Now A4 will equal 2589.17. But, somewhere else in the spreadsheet,
> typing =39.83*65 gives 2588.95!
>
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm using Ooo 2.0 on windows.

I think you'll find it is a rounding issue. If you change the format of A2
so that you see more decimals, you'll see that it is really 39.833333
(recurring, I presume).  Multiply *that* by 65 and you'll get 2589.17.

I tried re-adjusting the formatting of A2, but to no avail.

Strangely, if I manually calculate =39.83*65, it correctly gives
3588.95. Even windows calculator gives the same result. So I don't
think it's a fp precision problem.

I'm really stumped at this. And I've already made a fool of myself in
front of a client by giving an incorrect invoice.

Bug in OO calc perhaps?

Matt