If I understood the question, I think it *is* possible to "delete" a single cell, or any rectangle of cells:

Mouse select a range of cell; Right mouse click -> Delete cells; choose one of the "Shift Left", Shift Up", or "Don't Shift" options.

There is no way to leave a "hole" in the sheet, but if you choose one of the "shift" options, the cells you selected will vanish completely and other cells will slide into their place. Is this what you had in mind?