On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 19:45 -0500, Dan Lewis wrote:
> On Tuesday June 13 2006 06:29 pm, G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 23:29 +0200, Eric Stöhr wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I cannot find the symbol for the arithmetic mean (x with a horizontal
> > > line above). Is there a package with mathematical symbols that can be
> > > downloaded and if so where do I find it?
> > >
> > > Thank you for helping,
> > > Eric
> >
> > Built-in to Math. Use Insert > Object > Formula.  If you need more
> > information, please see
> > http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/OOo2.x/user_guide2_draft.pdf
>
>       This document does not explain how to do what the OP wanted: enter
> the SYMBOL for the arithmetic mean in a Writer document. It does explain
> how to calculate the arithmetic mean but not how to write the symbol as a
> part of a formula: MEAN (A1+A2+A3 +....+A20)

I see. And Insert > Special Character is failing? In that case, I think
that an issue is in order. Therefore, suggest that you enter this issue
into Issue Tracker as this is the best way to have problems such as this
evaluated.

If you haven't already registered, do the following:

     1. To file an issue you must register with OOo by clicking the
        My Pages tab and selecting the Register link
http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/Join
     2. Fill in your information
     3. Reply to the confirmation email that will be sent to the address
        you provided.
     4. Once you have confirmed, go to www.openoffice.org again
     5. And click on the "My Pages" tab from which you can file and find
issues.

On the other hand, if the OP is asking how to setup his system to use
keyboarding to enter these, then this is really an OS problem. However,
there is
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/various_topics/Howto_special_char.pdf
 which does address how to do this.

BTW, I still think that using Math is the best way to achieve the goal.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead