Hello Frank,

> Hi Manuel,
>
> > Hello, I am trying to use OpenOffice Base as a report generator for a
> > Sybase ASE 12.5 Database Server.
> >
> > I created an an JDBC connection through JConnect 6 with the database
> > driver com.sysbase.jdbc3.jdbc.SybDriver That worked fine.
> >
> > But when I try to acces a so I try to execute the SQL command "select
> > * from storedb.dbo.product". I get the following error:
> >
> > SQL-Status: 42000 Fehler-Code: 208
> >
> > "storedb"."dbo"."product" not found. Specify owner.objectname or use
> > sp_help to check whether the object exists (sp_help may produce lots
> > of output).
>
> In general, there's a lot of degree of freedom what certain
> database/drivers require/support a client application (such as OOo) to
> do. On both sides, in the driver or OOo, there might be inconsistencies
> (well, bugs :) which hinder proper communication.

I know all theses problems. I have often integration projects with open
interfaces.
There is all the time a lot to do ;-)

> The error message you cited suggests that the Sybase JDBC driver does
> not allow to use so-called catalogs (storedb in the example) in SELECT
> statements. Normally, the driver should tell OOo that it doesn't. Now
> either it does not properly tell, or OOo does not respect this.

The JDBC Driver does allow catalogs, but only without quotes.

> Assuming that you have registered this database under a certain name,
> the output of the following Basic macro might be interesting:
>
>   oConn = createUnoService( "com.sun.star.sdb.DatabaseContext" ). _
>     getByName( <your_database_name> ).getConnection( "", "" )
>   MsgBox oConn.MetaData.supportsCatalogsInDataManipulation

The macro output just a box with the text true.

> > When I use "select * from dbo.products" or "select * from products"
> > it works. OpenOffice automaticly changes my queries. Can I disable
> > this?
>
> You can always switch on "Run SQL direct" in the query designer's SQL
> view (look in the toolbar), in this case OOo Base won't touch your SQL.

Yes I know that, but when I am saving the query. When I try to generate a
report openoffice complains
that it can figure out all table names and I would also that the driver just
works.

> > It could also be possible, that the quoting is the problem. Can
> > I disable the quoting?
>
> No, disabling quoting only is not possible.
>
> Ciao
> Frank

Greetings
    Manuel