From: Sigrid Kronenberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 6/16/2006 5:40 AM
To: users@openoffice.org
Cc: Shute Duenise
Subject: Re: [users] Uninstall

Hi,

"Shute Duenise" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

> I installed open office so that one of my students could show her
> slide presentation. Unfortuneately, all my icons have changed from
> microsoft word to openoffice. Everything defaults to open office. I
> don't want this to happen. I have tried to delete open office files
> and have only been partially successful.
>
> Please advice me how I can return my files to their original microsoft
> icons, uninstall open office, and return to my happy windows self.

>From other members of this list

     The proper way to remove OOo is to uninstall it using Add/Remove
Programs from the Control Panel. By deleting OOo files and folders
instead  will likely leave registry keys pointing to the missing
program.      But more to your point. It is a file association problem
you are  experiencing.
     Right click on any MS Word document (Shift+right click for Win 98
SE).  Select "Open with" from the context menu. In the list of programs,
find MS  Word and click it. Then check the box at the bottom of this
window so that  this type of file will always be opened with MS Word.
Then click OK.

Dan

I'll also point out that OOo offers the option of associating OOo with
various MacroS**t products at install time.  If, on installation, you
don't choose that option, then OOo will only associate with its own
files.

And this is an OS, not an OO topic, so I'll go away now....
Donald.

When you installed OOo (OpenOffice.org) you ticked the options telling
the OOo installer to do this.

It was not necessary to remove OOo, because MS Office and OOo will
happily co-exist on the same computer. Increasingly, you will find more
students wanting to submit files in OOo's ISO standards approved format,
so it will be useful to have OOo available.

Deleting files is the wrong way to uninstall any Windows software. I
suggest you reinstall OOo and then if you still wish to remove it, use
the "Add and Remove Programs" option fro the Windows Control Panel.

Even if you decide to keep OOo on this computer you will still need to
change the Windows "File Associations" to get your MS icons back.
Instructions on how to do this are given here:
http://user-faq.openoffice.org/faq/ar01s04.html#FILE-ASSOCIATIONS

I hope this helps.

Dave

These answers have been committed very short time after your question,
but since you aren't subscribed to the list, you probably missed this
answers.

HTH

Sigrid

Please answer only to the list.