> On 6/28/06, mike scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > And it subsequently refers to "Bryan Garner, whose Dictionary of
> > Modern American Usage...".  I'm talking about /English/ not
> > "American".  They are different, and what's acceptable in one may
> > not be in the other. As far as I can tell, it's a usage that's been
> > catching on over here just in the past /few/ years - it is /not/
> > correct usage. Yet.

And there are many other different Englishes as well.

> "obtain OOo free" or "obtain OOo for nothing" (*). Please??

There was a discussion about this as in free beer etc before.  Still we
go on.

> When I hear "for nothing" the word I put in front of it is "good" as
> in "Good for nothing".  You do not want to use the word "nothing" in
> your advertisement.  It's a negative word.  "Free" on the other hand
> is a very positive one.

Concur

> yes *ADVERTISING* matters - not the Queen's English.

Maybe that is the whole trouble.  Advertising matters (it makes
money)  and not good language ( which may cost money)

>If  "For Free"
> was such a turn off to customers, marketing execs would have stopped
> using it by now. But the fact that "for free" and the reduntant "Free
> Gift" are still used all the time proves that grammar is no way to
> judge the effectiveness of an ad.

I think that the term 'free gisft' was started by marketing, as it ruined
the word 'gift' by ultimately charging for the gift.  I still wonder how
much a 'free gift' is going to cost me.

Chris