Mike Masse wrote:
Hello all,

First I need to say that 2.0.3 is a big improvement over 2.0.2 for me personally. For those of you who follow these threads, I had a frustrating situation where oo2.0.2 Writer would not start. 2.0.3 has solved whatever problem there was. Thanks to all for your work!!

So now, just to possibly confirm my ignorance to open source software like oo ... obviously there are professional programmers working on this ... so is developing OO a full-time job ... sponsored by a corporation like SUN? or are there actually programmers donating expertise and time, sitting around their home office writing code?

Are there actually people off the street, writing code for this app, and submitting it for review (by whom??)?

IT is a wonderful piece of work, and I am curious as to how this comes about and is maintained.

TIA
Hi Mike,

It's mostly developers paid by Sun who work on OOo. Maybe somebody here or there paid by a Linux distribution. And then a lot of people who submit patches, bug reports, translations, macros (spelling checker dictionary loader, font loader, etc...), but I don't think a lot of them work full time on it.

Anyway, if you feel like it, I think you can join the force. You have to prove that you can code though and that you're willing to learn how OOo is put together. It's inclusion by merit. The nice thing is that one can start small and gradually improve. I think it does take a lot of time one way or another, though.

Cheers,

Jo