Generally a tester is one who is very computer savvy and likes taking risks checking out cutting edge versions of the latest software. One should not be a beta tester if one has a production system or a computer on which one's work/life depends on.

Beta testing involves a lot of risk and should be done on a standalone spare machine which even if something happens, essential operations or data are not compromised and one can revert to an earlier version or get patches installed.

You should stick to older less buggy versions instead of trying the latest beta or alpha versions.

Polly A. wrote:
 Dear Open Office Crew Members,

Yesterday I received an email about Open Office.org's office suite.  I went
to the download site and downloaded OOo_2.0.3_WIN32Intel_install.exe .  I
installed this version on my HDD.  I signed on for email information from
OO0.org.

Today, I received an email from OOo.org sent out authored by John McCreesh
for immediate release topic on "Instead, Microsoft
should give users of all its Office products the ability to use ISO 26300
as their default file format."

That had a link to "the latest OOo version" which I followed to Version OOo
2.0.2_WIN3...tall_wJRE.exe  .

Although I have been a beta tester on four programs in development, I am not
computer savvy at all.  I was always placed in the "bug hunt by dummies"
section of the testing phases.  I am now confused as to which version is the
latest of Open Office.org's office suite.  I always thought that the
versions were given +numeric character to designate versions and done in
sequential order of +.   I do not understand which version is the latest one
put out for user and testing.  I did install the OOo_2.0
3_WIN32Intel_install.exe last night.  Now I am uncertain as to which version
I should be using to work from.

Sytem Info
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3000 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 89.60 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Browsers IE6(only if I have to), Firefox/1.5.0.4, Opera 10, and Netscape
browser /8.1

I have no idea if any of the above information matters in any way, but since
error reports generally ask for some if not more of these things, I am
pasting them to this e-mail.

Thank you if you had time to answer this question,

Polly

High Plains Service Dogs