--- Clois Beckwith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been using Microsoft Excel for 10 plus years and I can't
> quite figure
> out how to autofill in the following format:
> Dec, 05
> Nov,05
> Oct,05
> etc.

Here are a couple of suggestions. I am still using Version 2.0.2, but
they should still work with 2.0.3:

SUGGESTION #1
-------------
I noticed the same problem you had... with the above data, it will
fill in all the cells with Dec, 05. OpenOffice doesn't seem to like
the comma(,) so if you have to have a comma, try the following:

Enter your first two data cells, as a proper date, with month, day
and year. Enter a day (any day), even if you don't want a day to show
up. Either of the following would be acceptable:

  Dec 1/05
  Nov 1/05
or
  12/1/05
  11/1/05

As you type them in, OpenOffice will convert them into 12/01/05 and
11/01/05. That's okay, just leave them for now.

Now select the these two cells, and then drag the bottom right hand
corner down as far as you need to go, so it auto-fills all your cells
with the date range.

You will now have all your dates listed, but they will still be in
the wrong format.

With all your dates still be highlighted,

Choose FORMAT then CELLS then click the NUMBERS tab.

Choose User-Defined in the CATEGORY Box.

Then go down to the FORMAT CODE box at the bottom, and type:
   "mmm ,yy" (NO quotation marks) and click OK. Notice I did not put
a "d" (for the day of the month) in this format box, so it doesn't
show the day on your spreadsheet.

You change this User-Defined Date format any way you want:
 m = displays month as a number 1 thru 12 (1 or 2 digits)
 mm = displays month as a number 01 thru 12 (2 digits)
 mmm = displays month as a 3 letter word (Jan,Feb,etc)
 mmmm = displays month as it's full name (January,etc)
 d = displays day as a number 1 thru 12 (1 or 2 digits)
 dd = displays day as a number 01 thru 12 (2 digits)
 yy = displays year as a 2 digit number (99,06)
 yyyy = displays year as a 4 digit number (1999,2006)

   ex: If I type "yyyy >>>dd / mmm,," (NO quotation marks) into the
FORMAT CODE box, and the date in the cell is Jan 1, 2006, then it
will appear as:
  2006 >>>01 / Jan,,

SUGGESTION #2
You can also add your own list to the Auto Fill lists:

Choose TOOLS then OPTIONS then click
 the [+] sign beside OpenOffice.org Calc

Choose SORT LISTS then click NEW. Type in your new list and click
ADD.

The only problem you will have, is that you CAN'T put commas(,) in
the list because it sees them as dividers.

Hope this helps