On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 10:48 -0400, Thomas Ronayne wrote:
> G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

> >> 'Cause when you export (a book's chapters and the like particularly) to
> >> word you lose stuff and when you import from word you lose more stuff
> >> and the entire exercise is generally a pain where you sit down. What I
> >> usually wind up having to do is save the FrameMaker file as text then do
> >> the thing in OpenOffice -- at least that way I don't have to deal with
> >> all the Wonderful Things microjunk persists in doing to "help" me then
> >> having to undo them later. The idea is to avoid word completely if at
> >> all possible.
> >>

> > Since FrameMaker is now a Windows only app, you might try
> > http://www.omsys.com/dcl/omni.htm for Mif2Go. Not cheap but it works.
> >
> Hmm.
>
> Well, given that I'm coming from FrameMaker on Solaris to OpenOffice on
> Solaris and Linux... looks like text-to-text might be the only practical
> solution.

Ooops! Of course Solaris. I was thinking of Abode stuff and lumped frame
in with the products they stopped supporting.

So since you are on Solaris, have you tried miftran
( http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~jimmc/freesw.html ) ? Old but ...
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead